Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Breakdown




Monday starts Spring Break for the kids. I can’t really relate because I never felt this way in my life about school… but both of my school aged children are bummed about it. So are the wife and I.

Sofie just LOVES school. A few weeks back she was complaining that her tummy hurt. She was all bundled up and ready to go catch the bus when she stopped dead in her tracks and held her stomach. “Can you kiss my tummy daddy? It doesn’t feel so good.” I leaned over gave her a kiss on the stomach and not two seconds later she vomited all over the place. When we had to call her off of school she cried and cried. “I don’t want to miss school! I will miss out on all the fun!” she bawled as gigantic tears streaked down her face. She is in kindergarten though, so I will revisit this feeling she has towards school in a few years.

Bianca on the other hand… she gets bummed in a different way. Her sleep pattern gets disturbed, she becomes irritable and starts to act out. Head banging increases, meltdowns increase and then it takes several weeks to get settled back into her routine once school is back in session. So one week off, sets her back about a month.

When I was in school, it seemed like I counted the days until spring break. In high school and college I always fantasized about taking a trip to someplace tropical and getting crazy, wet t-shirt contests, meeting girls and all of the rest of the debauchery associated with the event… reality was the closest I got was watching MTV. It just wasn’t my style, but being out of school was DEFINITELY my style.

As a parent though, I LOVE school. As far as I am concerned, there can’t be enough school… especially for Bianca. Don’t get me wrong. If I could, I would spend all day with her. I love being with her and we have a lot of fun together. I just know that I am not what makes things easier on her. Her routine does. So it doesn’t matter how much I try to explain it to her or smother her with hugs and kisses, she likes her structure and when it is gone, life is harder for her.

We will be bouncing a lot on the trampoline I think to help with the anxiety. The weather is still too cold to hit the park. Maybe we will make a trip to the bouncy houses or coloring eggs. We will have to see.

Wishing all you autism parents out there a meltdown free spring break! Where are the Jell-O shots?




If you have not already, please take time to watch my videos, "Fixing" Autism and Autism Awareness with Nichole337 and share them with your friends.



To keep up to date with everying in Lou's Land, please subscribe to my blog. "Like" Lou's Land on Facebook and follow Lou's Land on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment